The typical possible misuse or vigilance needed by young closeted Facebook users has produced bad consequences yet again, previous posts on this blog and GLBTQJA on blogger have brought this to bear. Since the ending of last year the stories of family members finding out of or prying into young msm profiles have been numerous.
SON'S LOVE FOR MEN SHOCKS MOM - Mother discovers 14-y-o's Facebook posts
A mother is now seeking professional help for her 14-year-old son after he made a stunning revelation to her that he was molested by a businessman some years ago when she recently discovered that he was making a series of posts on Facebook reaching out for male lovers.
She told THE STAR that her inspection of the teen's wall on the social networking site drove her to tears and a loss for words, as she came to grips with what she was reading.
Among other things, she said, he wrote that he is fully aware of his decision to become intimate with men, and had been attracting 'friendly' men from abroad, one of whom promised to visit him.
It is also understood that the boy posted that he had sex with a female once before and he did not like it, a disclosure that his mother is finding hard to accept.
She said she immediately instructed him to remove the posts and had a 'mother/son' talk when it was revealed by the boy that he was molested at age seven, allegedly by a man he trusted.
The woman told our news team that her son told her that a business operator forcibly performed oral sex on him while the family was living in Montego Bay, St James, and he keeps having flashbacks about the incident.
Following his confession, the woman said she has shown full support for him as "he didn't know right from wrong at the time," she said.
The woman further stated that; "I've made an appoinment with the doctor to check him out to see if he has any STDs and I'm also trying to get in contact with his father."
Further investigations by THE STAR revealed that the man who is being accused of molesting the boy has also been accused of similar acts over a period of time.
It is being alleged that the man lured minors to his business in the Second City.
THE STAR was also told that there has been a case when a mob attempted to beat the accused man and he had to seek refuge at a police station.
Attempts by THE STAR to receive confirmation from the police about the alleged molestation incidents were unsuccessful as the officer on duty at the time of our enquiry said she was unaware.
Here I will repost some of the previous post where I gave some tips on privacy settings but as for leaving pages open for third parties to have access to then that is up to the user either by a screen saver or lock your page when leaving ones computer up.
- Make sure the profiler has a real photo or photos of themselves
- Ask questions about them, get to know as much as possible as timely as possible
- Establish telephone contact as early as you see fit
- Listen for any change in mood, tone or information shared over time
- Keep the e-lationship going with regular interactions to pick up any changes as well
- Archive or save suspicious exchanges as you see fit
- Avoid instant hook-ups without first developing some rapport in the e-lationship
- Tell a close friend where and when you are going to meet an online friend for the first time
- Develop a trend in communicating for e.g same times if possible per day for chatting
- If you decide to meet find an open public area as best as possible, and decide how to behave in that space to avoid any unsuspecting onlookers who may deduce it's a gay link up
- Decide on clothing and colour or change colours previously agreed to if you are not sure of the individual
- Study your surroundings when there and get there early (as this young man did)
- Plan your possible route(s) of escape if necessary
- Have a weapon of some sort or maze that can create a distraction then escape as quickly as possible
- Have a trusted friend accompany you if possible and have them away from the actual meeting spot but make sure they can see you
- Make a call if needed to the person(s) who followed you and keep the line open so they can hear your conversation and call for help elsewhere if needed
- Set your Facebook profile to "Friends Only" as under "Friends of Friends" all other persons can see you
- If you are in a group and are active you may turn off the feature where non friends can send you a message or see you photos
- Use only a sensible face picture as your profile thumbnail so as to avoid stalking
Some previous safety suggestions that appeared on that June 2011 entry on hookups are posted HERE
Peace and tolerance