The Declaration calls for:
* Theological reflection that integrates the wisdom of excluded, often silenced peoples, and insights about sexuality from medicine, social science, the arts and humanities.
* Full inclusion of women and sexual minorities in congregational life, including their ordination and the blessing of same sex unions.
* Sexuality counseling and education throughout the lifespan from trained religious leaders.
* Support for those who challenge sexual oppression and who work for justice within their congregations and denomination.
Faith communities must also advocate for sexual and spiritual wholeness in society. We call for:
* Lifelong, age appropriate sexuality education in schools, seminaries, and community settings.
* A faith-based commitment to sexual and reproductive rights, including access to voluntary contraception, abortion, and HIV/STD prevention and treatment.
* Religious leadership in movements to end sexual and social injustice.
God rejoices when we celebrate our sexuality with holiness and integrity.
We, the undersigned, invite our colleagues and faith communities to join us in promoting sexual morality, justice, and healing.
Some of the signatories include leading homosexual and lesbian luminaries such as Dr. Louie Crew, the Rev. Susan Russell, the Rev. Michael Hopkins, Dr. Carter Heyward, Elizabeth Kaeton, and Katherine Ragsdale.Bishop signers include Gene Robinson, Edmond L. Browning, Otis Charles and Orris Walker to name but a few.